Conservatives Abroad - Sweden

Healthcare in Sweden

There are various ways to access healthcare in Sweden.

If you’re visiting

If you’re just visiting Sweden, you should ensure that you have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). This offers free, or discounted access to healthcare in the host country, as if you were a citizen of that country. You can apply for one here.

Your EHIC does not cover you for healthcare if you are living in Sweden.

If you’re living in or moving to Sweden

If you’ve moved to, or are thinking of moving to Sweden and need to access healthcare, there are different options you can pursue.

State Healthcare (S1)

Please note, that this may change following Brexit. We will update the website accordingly when we have more information.

If you receive an exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You can read more about what benefits are exportable here.

If you believe you’re in receipt of an exportable benefit, you need to contact the NHS to apply for your S1 form.

Similar to the NHS 111 service the UK has, Sweden offers their own alternative called 1177. This is the first port of call for most people to find out what service they should use, and how to access the service. It also offers regional information for your region of Sweden, which gives you the charge you can expect to pay.

You can look online at their website, or alternatively call 1177.

Applying for residency or a personnummer

It is highly recommended by Skatteverket and Forsakringskassan that you seek private health insurance to supplement any S1/other alternative you may have. It is advised that you have 10,000,000 SEK worth of cover.